Monday, October 5, 2015

DIY Stump Table: Part One

Have you seen these awesome stump tables popping up all over the place? I'm in love with how they can make a room look warm and cozy. But have you seen the price tag? They are expensive, too expensive for this girl!

Like this Natural Tree Stump Side Table from West Elm for $249




















Or this lovely Natural Teton Solid Wood Side Table from Crate and Barrel for $399














     I really like the look of the stumps without bark, letting you see the natural grain of the wood on all sides. So I was thinking, it can't be that hard to make my own right? Well, I am certainly trying. First things first I needed a stump. While I was walking the dog around the neighborhood I noticed that someone had lost a tree and a large section was still laying across their lawn, perfect opportunity! Now mind you, I do not know these people, but I proceeded to leave them a note in their door asking if I could stop by and trim a piece off. The nice lady sent me a text letting me know that I could have whatever I want. 
     
   I dragged my Dad over to their house for some muscle (and to work the chainsaw), fifteen minutes later I had my stump! Thanks Dad!
 
 

     
     We did have to haul the thing off ourselves so we cut it at about 9 inches tall and it is about a foot wide. You have to make sure that your stump is all the way dry before adding any finishes or prying off the bark to prevent your stump from cracking. To make up for the height difference between the stump and the couch arm, I am planning on adding some hair pin legs. The metal hair pin legs are industrial and contrast the warm wood nicely and give me the needed height, bonus!

    In about a month my little stump will hopefully be dried out enough to begin stripping off the bark and prepare it for its finishes!

Meredith

No comments:

Post a Comment